Suburban Tourist is a personal blog written and edited by me, Margaret Bourne – all views and opinions are my own. The goal of this blog is to share great experiences – whether they be outdoor activities such as hiking and camping, to travel, food (unique finds, locally grown or produced) and dining.
As I work in the public relations industry, any posts about clients are noted as such.
This blog accepts forms of sponsorship, (for campaigns requiring more than one post and excess time for development and posting) and/or other forms of compensation. I abide by word-of-mouth marketing standards. Any form of compensation received that influences the content or topics of Suburban Tourist will be identified in the post as paid or sponsored work.
Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider or party in question.
Product and Service Reviews
Related products and services (accommodations, events, attractions, tours, etc.) are occasionally reviewed on Suburban Tourist – only honest feedback (the good and the bad) is provided based on my experience of the item or service. I never post any reviews if I’ve had a horrible experience with a product or service.
I prefer to review products and services that suit the blog’s demographic and fit into the categories of outdoor activities (hiking, camping), travel, lifestyle, food, photography and dining. Products should be available in Canada. Pitches are reviewed for editorial fit.
If you are a brand, retailer, organization or PR contact that would like me to try your product or service, please contact me directly with the following information:
- A press release, sales sheet, or any additional information as to the product or service;
- Where it is available (if applicable);
- Retail price;
- Product photo or related photo.
Please provide me with as much information as possible so that I can write a comprehensive review. Any products sent to me for trial will not be returned once used.
If approached by a brand, retailer, organization or PR contact for a product or service review that does not fall into my areas of interest or would not be of interest to my reader demographic, I will respond directly via email. I’m open to pitches for sponsored posts, only if I’m reviewing a product or service and if they fit my blog topics. I do not advertorials written by brands or companies, or their “guest bloggers”.
IMPORTANT: For delivery of products, Suburban Tourist will not be responsible for any duties, shipping costs or brokerage fees. It is your responsibility for any costs related to shipping of products for reviews.
Please note that I am also in the public relations industry and represent clients in the food and beverage industries. While I may post about a client product, service or event, I always will provide complete disclosure as to their status as a client. However, I will not promote any product or service that is in direct conflict of interest to my clients at the time.
Product Giveaways and Contests
As with product reviews, I’m open to running contest and prize package giveaways for products or services (tickets to events or attractions, tours, consulting/educational etc.) that suit the blog’s demographic and fit into the categories of outdoor activities (hiking, camping), travel, food and dining. Contact me with your idea!
A few things to keep in mind:
- Ideally, product giveaways should be worth $25 or more.
- As this is a Canadian blog, I prefer products that are available and shippable in Canada. Prizes that are service-based (i.e. tickets to events etc.) should be focused on the Greater Toronto Area. Some exceptions may apply – please contact me should your prize package be outside of the GTA, but attractive to residents here.
- Product giveaways can be posted on my blog as part of a review or as a stand-alone prize. For product giveaways with a review post, I request the product be shipped to me (at no cost) for review. The product, once used by me will not be returned.
- One additional product prize should be reserved for the winner. It is your responsibility to deliver the prize to the winner. For any prizes sent directly to me, I will request a courier pick-up the prize and deliver it to the winner. Save your money and send it to the winner directly!
- All giveaways can be customized – from Twitter contests, to e-newsletter sign-ups, Facebook Likes, etc.
- Entrants will earn a ballot based on meeting the qualifications for entry outlined in the blog post.
- If your ask would take more than two hours of my personal time (e.g. blog posts, pushing out via social media) be respectful and consider paying me to help you succeed with your communication goals.
I will do my best to post your giveaway in a timely fashion, however please note that this blog is a personal hobby that I work on during my spare time. Should I be a few days late in posting, please be patient. Once I confirm my support, I follow through.
All giveaways will be promoted and run between one to three weeks, giving your brand, product/service awareness and exposure to my blog readers and followers on Facebook and Twitter. Links to your website or product/service page will be provided.