This year, my husband is celebrating Father’s Day for the first time. He keeps talking about how getting a good night’s sleep would be an amazing thing. I’ll strive to give him the gift of peace and relaxation for at least a day. However, I’m also considering what to get my Dad and Father-in-law and so I’ve been pulled together a list of 10 fun gifts for Father’s Day that might work for me, and for you.
Gifts For Father’s Day For the Outdoor or Active Dad
Dads who are into fitness, outdoor activities and being active are fairly easy to shop for for Father’s Day gifts. Head into an outdoor equipment store and you are met with so many options – from camping, fishing, hiking and canoeing among others. Same goes for a fitness store for the dads who like to run, cycle and work out.
Gift ideas include:
- Hiking gear such as walking poles and bucket hats to protect their head (especially if they are bald!)
- Shirts that wick away moisture
- Devices that monitor physical activity such as the Fitbit
You may also want to gift him with the gift of time so that he can enjoy his favourite activity. Even if it is taking time out to do absolutely nothing!
Food and Drink Gifts for Dad
Go beyond the traditional BBQ tools and accessories for Dad this year. Dads who love to spend time in the kitchen and entertain family and friends deserve something cool.
Consider the following gifts:
- Gourmet knife set such as Zwilling J.A. Henckels or Paderno (Canadian brand) and knife sharpener
- Fancy glassware for cocktails – rocks glasses, champagne coupes etc. and a barware set including all the necessary items to make drinks like a pro
When it comes to bottles to purchase for Dad, many get him his favourite beer or Scotch. Why not try something different this year?
If you’re celebrating Father’s Day with a home-cooked meal, consider gifting Dad with rosé wines such as JP Azeitão Shiraz Rosé (Portugal, $8.55/750 ml LCBO), Nugan Estate Third Generation Shiraz Rosé (Australia $10.85/750 ml at LCBO), or the more fruity Nugan Estate Uprising Shiraz Rosé (Australia, $13.96/750 ml at LCBO), developed specifically for rosé fans in Ontario. It’s summer after all, and blush and rosé wines are amazing chilled and paired with summer meals. They go down easy, so getting a few different bottles at great prices makes for the perfect gift of exploring and enjoying good sips. I know my rosé-loving Father-in-law will love sipping on these wines.
Bring along a bottle of brandy such as Dujardin VSOP Brandy ($25.75/750 ml bottle at LCBO) to make the Horses’ Neck (1 oz. Dujardin VSOP Brandy with 4 oz. of ginger ale over ice in a highball glass, with lemon zest garnish) for sipping on the patio.
Experience Gifts for Dad
A national survey conducted by Travelzoo Canada shows that 71% of men find gifts that are experiential in nature more memorable than material gifts. For example, Concert tickets were preferred by 78% of men over an iTunes card. Consider the possibilities! So many things you can do with Dad together that will make for a memorable time for you and for him.
Here are some experiences that make great gifts:
- Travelzoo Canada has several experiences that affordable prices to consider such as an exotic car racetrack experience at Cayuga’s Toronto Motorsports Park for $129 or a private flight over Niagara Falls for $99 (many more ideas on their site)
- Take your dad out to a ball game – Blue Jays tickets start at about$16. When paired with food and drinks, it can be a fantastic time together (especially if they win!)
- If concert tickets are too pricey, get less expensive Festival tickets for Dad, particularly if the line-up includes his favourite bands.
These are just a few fun gifts for Father’s Day that may help you find the perfect gift for your Dad this year. Now that I’m done writing and posting this blog post, I’m off to shop for that perfect sleep accessories gift for my hubby… cool eye mask and earplugs here we come!
HAPPY FATHER’S DAY!
Until next time,