Despite blogging for the past few years, I continue to grow as a writer, blogger and photographer while at the same time balancing a job and life. Keeping my ideas and content fresh can sometimes be challenge.
So, how to get past “idea block” – a problem many face after a couple months of blogging (and sometimes after a few years of blogging), when the great ideas for blog content run out or you face blogging burnout. There have been many a blog post about this topic too with long lists of tips for blog content and how you can inspire yourself for future blog posts.
Tips for blog posts
- Experience something new – a new trail, historic place, a museum exhibition, food, restaurant
- Revisit old content – update old blog posts
- Interview somebody you find interesting – they will share out your post with others
- Read, read and read some more – save bookmarks to links for inspiring articles on any given topic that you like to write about via apps such as Evernote or Stumbleupon
- Track news and trends on topics you write about via RSS feeds, Flipboard, Zite, etc.
- Follow news releases on topics of interest (great place to start is Canada Newswire)
- YouTube and VideoJug offer a number of good how-to videos on travel, outdoors etc.
- Vimeo is where you can find inspiring and beautiful films by serious amateur and professional filmmakers – e.g. timelapse videos etc.
- Get friendly with PR/marketing contacts at companies with brands/services you like and find out what’s new
I find it also good to take a time out from blogging to reassess whether what I’m writing about is of interest to my readers. Is it too long? Does it have useful information? Does it inspire/inform/entertain? Does it create a reaction via comments? Is it highly shareable?
What are your tips for blog posts that inspire, entertain and capture attention?